The math program at Synapse inspires students to develop a deep understanding of and genuine appreciation for mathematics. The math program is a hybrid between a project based and problem based approach, providing students with a rich and beautiful experience of mathematics that emphasizes cross-curricular connections, and challenges students to collaborate in constructing their own mathematical knowledge.
Synapse Math Program Highlights
- Low floor, high ceiling mathematical tasks ensure all students are able to find appropriate level of challenge.
- Rich investigations, from both applied and pure mathematics, provide students with the opportunity to apply their imagination, creativity, collaboration and experience to the thrill of mathematical discovery.
- Students develop authentic problem solving skills, including learning to pose their own problems, identifying relevant information, and making reasonable assumptions and estimation.
- Understanding is developed by moving from concrete and visual representations towards more abstract models.
- Computational fluency is developed through puzzles, games and mathematical investigations that build number sense and deep conceptual understanding while deemphasizing speed and memorization.
Lower School Math Program Overview
Math Skills Time
Math Talks (Number Talks, Dot Patterns, Counting Circles, etc)
Math Centers (Choice Math Practice)