- 1. Attend a Synapse Information Night
- 2. Sign Up for a Synapse School Tour (Optional)
- 3. Submit a Synapse School Application by January 17, 2020
- 4. Parent/Guardian Interview
- 5. Applicant Visit
- 6. One-On-One Student-Teacher Meeting
A Synapse Information Night is a required first step in the admissions process. These nights are designed to guide you in deciding whether the Synapse School philosophy and program are a fit for your child and family. During this interactive presentation, Synapse leadership and faculty will present our Vision and Mission, and provide both general information and examples of the Synapse curricular model. Current Synapse parents/guardians will also share their families' experiences. We welcome parents/guardians and other interested adults to attend the Synapse Information Night.
Synapse Information Nights for the 2020-21 school year will start on October 2nd, 2019.
If you would like to attend an admissions information event in a language other than English, please email Admissions or call (650) 468-2204.
Once you have attended a Synapse Information Night, you are invited to join an optional Synapse School Tour. This is an excellent opportunity to see our classes in action, meet our teachers, and visit with Leadership. At the end of the Synapse Information Night, School Tour sign-ups will be available and you will also receive a registration code should you wish to sign up for tours through Ravenna.
We recommend that you submit your application early in the admissions season to activate the next steps of the admissions process.
- Synapse School application
- Family photo
- $90 application fee
Please complete these steps as soon as possible so that there is enough processing time to receive the documents before the deadline.
- Teacher recommendation form: In Ravenna, delegate the form to your current teacher and allow appropriate time for your teacher to complete and return it to Synapse School. Parents/guardians may also delegate a teacher recommendation form to a second teacher if desired. If possible, please have your child's teacher submit their recommendation before the Parent/Guardian Interview so that we have a broader sense of your child.
- Educational and any additional assessments:Assessments inform our holistic evaluation of each individual child. If you have any educational or other assessments (WISC, WPPSI, Qualitative Assessment, ISEE, SSAT, etc), please submit them. If you do not have any assessments, this step is not required.
- Transcripts: (1st-8th Grade applicants) Submit the records release form to your current school for the school years: 2019-2020 (1st term) and 2018-2019.
All applications submitted after our January 17, 2020 will be considered as 2nd Pool Applications. Depending on the availability of spaces in the applicant grade after our March 26, 2020 decisions, we will activate the application process for 2nd Pool Applicants.
A member of our Admissions team will meet with all parents/guardians to clarify any questions parents/guardians may have and to review the philosophy and program of Synapse School. Most importantly, this is an opportunity for parents/guardians to share about their child. The interview is designed to help all parties assess the family fit.
The Admissions office will contact you to schedule your Parent/Guardian Interview after you have submitted your preliminary application and fee. Parent/Guardian Interviews start in October.
After you have attended a Synapse Information Night and submitted your child's application, the Admissions office will contact you to schedule an applicant visit.
Kindergarten applicants are invited to experience Synapse School through a Playgroup. It is an opportunity for your child to meet our teachers and participate in fun Synapse classroom activities. The playgroup does not involve one-on-one or formal testing. During the playgroup, parents are invited to stay and join a Q&A over coffee with members of our Admissions team.
Synapse Experience Day
1st - 4th Grade applicants are invited to experience our dynamic program with Synapse teachers and fellow applicants. Your child will participate in interactive, collaborative and hands-on classroom activities, typical in the day of a Synapse student.
Middle school applicants are invited to visit Synapse School for a full day. It is an opportunity for your child to get a taste of Synapse by accompanying a current student throughout the visit and engaging in classes and activities. During the day, your child will have their One-on-One Student-Teacher Meeting which is an opportunity for Synapse teachers to better get to know your child.
The One-on-One Student-Teacher meeting is an opportunity for Synapse teachers to get to know your child better.
Lower School (Kindergarten and 1st - 4th grade) applicants - The Admissions office or a Synapse teacher will contact you to schedule a time. These meetings are scheduled after the Parent/Guardian Interview and Applicant Visit have taken place.
- Middle School (5th - 8th grade) applicants - The one-on-one meeting takes place during the Shadow Visit.