- 1. Attend a Parent Information Night (PIN)
- 2. Sign Up for a Synapse School Tour (Optional)
- 3. Submit a Synapse School Application by January 17, 2019
- 4. Parent Interview
- 5. Kindergarten Playgroup Or Shadow Visit (1st Grade - Middle School)
- 6. One-On-One Student-Teacher Meeting
A Parent Information Night (PIN) is the required first step in the admissions process. PINs are designed to guide parents in deciding whether the Synapse School philosophy and program are a fit for their child and family. During this interactive evening, Synapse leadership and faculty will present the school's Vision and Mission, and provide both general information and examples of the Synapse constructivist curriculum model. Current Synapse parents will also share their family's experiences. We welcome parents and other interested adults to attend the PIN.
We recommend that you submit your application early in the admissions season to activate the next steps of the admissions process.
- Synapse School application
- Family photo
- $90 application fee
Please complete these steps as soon as possible so that there is enough processing time to receive the documents before the deadline.
- Teacher recommendation form: In Ravenna, delegate the form to your current teacher as soon as possible so that we receive your teacher recommendation before your Parent Interview date. Parents may also delegate a teacher recommendation form to a second teacher if desired.
- Educational and any additional assessments: Please provide any educational, medical, social or other assessments that you have. Examples: WISC, WPPSI, Qualitative Assessment, ISEE, Psycho-educational, IEP, etc. These relevant assessments inform the holistic evaluation of each individual child.
If you are interested in getting an educational assessment, here is a list of possible Psychologists for Testing. It is recommended to schedule early, as psychologists can get quite busy during the admissions season.
- Transcripts: (1st-8th Grade applicants) Submit the records release form to your current school for the school years: 2018-2019 (1st term) and 2017-2018.
All applications submitted after our January 17, 2019 will be considered in our 2nd Pool Applications. Depending on the availability of spaces in the applicant grade after our March 20, 2019 decisions, we will activate the application process for 2nd Pool Applicants
After you have attended a Parent Information Night and submitted your child's application, the Admissions office will contact you to schedule the Kindergarten Playgroup or Shadow Visit.
Synapse offers a Kindergarten Playgroup where applicants will enjoy some fun with shapes, numbers, a story, activity, and a game. The group size is about 10 children total and does not involve one-on-one or formal testing. The more relaxed the children are, the better! While your child is engaged with our kindergarten teachers and Synapse staff members, parents are invited to stay and join a Q & A over coffee with members of our Admissions team and current parents. Kindergarten Playgroups start in January.
For our 1st Grade - Middle School applicants, Synapse offers Shadow Visits to experience Synapse School. It is an opportunity for your child to get a taste of Synapse by accompanying a current student throughout the visit and engaging in classes and activities. Shadow Visits start in December. Lower school (1st-4th grade) applicants will shadow in their current grade for a half day. Middle School (5th-8th grade) applicants will shadow for a full day.
- Lower School (Kindergarten and 1st - 4th grade) applicants - The Admissions office or a Synapse teacher will contact you to schedule a time. These meetings are scheduled after the Parent Interview and Kindergarten Playgroup have taken place.
- Middle School (5th - 8th grade) applicants - The one-on-one meeting takes place during the Shadow Visit.