At Synapse, we have a unique approach to Parent Education. We believe it is best done:
- In small groups, with people we trust and enjoy spending time with.
- Honoring every parent’s good intentions and wisdom within.
- Following the constructivist model of teaching embraced at the school, whereby parents construct their own Parent Ed experience to reflect their goals and values.
- Through consistent practice, supported by a community of like-minded individuals.
The goal of Parent Education at Synapse is to support parents in navigating the challenges (and celebrating the joys) of parenthood through:
- Self-Science for Parents: Bimonthly small-group encounters where EQ competencies and the latest neuroscience are both taught and put into practice.
- EQ Café: Bimonthly gatherings where Middle School parents can share current parenting struggles and receive support and advice from fellow parents and EQ experts.
- Astrocyte Book Club: A book club for parents who enjoy exploring parenting and neuroscience topics through books and great conversation in the comfort of a fellow parent's home.
- Common Ground Speaker Series: Lectures by national experts on hot topics related to parenting, made available through the school's membership.
Here is what Synapse parents say
“I am grateful for the open and candid discussions we have in the groups. I love that we can have the same language with which to communicate with one another and to connect with our kids! I highly recommend every parent take advantage of the opportunities to learn alongside your child! ” - L1 Parent
“Our parent community gets beyond the small talk. We have a deeper understanding of where our fellow parents are coming from and are better able to support each other. We are closer and more connected.” - Level 2 Parent
The EQ groups allowed me to form meaningful connections with other Synapse parents that I otherwise would not have had the opportunity to know, and these are friendships that I hope will last as our children grow.” - Level 2 & 7th grade Parent
"I look forward to attending the EQ sessions every month! Not only have I gotten so much out of it, my entire family has benefited as well. Sometimes, I still pull out the TFA cards to help us work through an issue!" 8th grader Parent